Read on to learn about how to maintain a healthy lifestyle when you have a busy schedule…
Tips to Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle
Keep healthy breakfast and snack options at work
- Everybody has those occasionally late days; avoid that unhealthy pastry from the coffee shop by keeping healthy food options at work.
- Keep instant oatmeal topped with nuts or a banana with some peanut butter on hand
- Healthy snacks include nuts, like almonds or walnuts eaten with a piece of fruit
Get up and get moving
- Working out in the morning can guarantee that you fit your workout into your busy schedule. With an on-the-go lifestyle, so many things can get in the way – meetings, events, dinner with colleagues. Prioritize your workout by getting it done before life takes over!
Prep your meals ahead of time
- Prepping meals a few days ahead of time can make it quick and easy to get out of the house and on with your day. Try prepping meals on your slowest day of the week (maybe a Sunday for those who follow a regular work week). Put the meals for the first few days post-prep in the fridge and freeze the rest to keep your food from spoiling. Have a CrockPotTM or another slow cooker? If you have time in the morning, you can put your meal together then set it to cook while you are work, leaving you with a delicious, healthy meal to eat when you get home. Meals can also be prepped the night before if you have the time. Leftovers make a convenient lunch for the next day!
- Mason Jar salads for lunch or dinner
- Overnight oats or smoothies for breakfast
- Making dinner using the slow cooker
- Plan your schedule to include exercise
- Sometimes the hardest part of exercise is figuring out when to do it. Leverage your phone or your computer calendar or even buy a planner. Schedule your exercise like you would any appointment. This will help you organize your entire schedule for the day and ensure that you have time devoted for exercise.
Join a gym close to work
- Going to the gym can be a real hassle, try joining a gym close to your work to make life easier. Then you can go straight to work post-workout, get a quick workout during your lunch break, or stop over before heading home.
- Can’t get to a gym? Walk/run outside or complete some of these fun home workouts instead, all body-weight so no expensive equipment needed!
Get a workout buddy
- Have a friend at work with the same hectic schedule? Try planning your workouts together! Working out with a friend can keep you motivated and prevent you from ditching out on your workout.
- Whether it is for business or pleasure, eating out is a part of life. Keep you your dinner healthy by looking for dishes that are baked, grilled, steamed, poached, roasted, or broiled to keep the calories down. Also avoid sides like French fries or mashed potatoes, which can be high in saturated fat. Instead opt for a side of vegetables or rice. (Many restaurants will allow this change with little or no cost to you). Or stick to a salad with the dressing on the side
- Sleep is hugely important to keep your body functioning at its best. Pick a set time to go to sleep and wake up (even on the weekends). This can ensure that you get an adequate amount of sleep to keep up with your busy schedule.
Bite into a Healthy Lifestyle(R)
- March is National Nutrition Month(R) created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, “Bite into a Healthy Lifestyle” with these healthy on-the-fly snack and meal ideas in Foods for your Lifestyle